Oakbrook Mall Shooting: Police Search for Suspected Shooter After 4 Shots Inside Oak Brook Center; 2 in custody

OAK BROOK, Ill. (WLS) – Oakbrook Center shopping mall reopened on Friday with a heavy police presence after a shootout at the mall Thursday night injured four people, police said.

Police said a suspected gunman was in custody, along with a “companion”. Charges are pending.

Another suspected gunman was still at large on Friday morning, but police said they had leads.

Police said the third suspect was wearing a puffy blue coat and is in his 30s.

Squad cars were seen circling the mall throughout Friday morning, but shoppers did not appear concerned, saying they felt safe enough to complete their Christmas shopping. in the western suburbs.

“I just wanted to make sure the mall was open,” said Taura, a Tinley Park resident. “I wasn’t worried, no, because I saw last night that this was an isolated incident, so I knew it wasn’t like a mass shooting.”

It’s almost as if the shooting never happened. Almost.

“I went to the perfume section and spoke to the girl from the section Coco Chanel and she pointed to the door where the shooter entered right next to her,” said Steven Stratton, buyer.

“I was not worried because I knew there would be a strong police presence here today,” said Marilyn Sliter, buyer. “I wasn’t worried at all. But again, I wasn’t worried all through Christmas.”

Oak Brook Police said a security guard working on the vacation details at Nordstrom heard gunshots shortly after 6 p.m. and immediately called the incident.

WATCH: Latest police update on Oakbrook Center shooting

Police said two people were exchanging gunshots in a hallway in the eastern part of the shopping center adjacent to the Nordstrom.

Four people were shot and wounded, police said. Police said one of the suspected shooters was a man in his 30s, who was shot four times and had multiple surgeries.

The other three victims of the shooting are two women in their forties and a woman in their twenties, who were shopping on Thursday evening. Each of them has been hit once.

All of the gunshot victims have non-life threatening injuries, police said. They were stable on Friday morning but remained in the hospital.

In addition, a woman in her 20s twisted her ankle while fleeing the shooting and was taken for treatment for a broken bone.

“Everyone was panicking,” witness Diane Sprague said. “We have tried to keep everyone safe and calm: stay away from windows. We locked the doors, stayed out of the back door. We gave people water to calm people down. There were children, old people. injured. “

WATCH: Witnesses describe shooting at Oakbrook Center

Another man was taken into custody after hitting the Nordstrom and trying to escape, police said. Police said they believed he was the companion of one of those involved in the shooting.

Two weapons were recovered. Both are pistols, police said, including a 9mm.
READ MORE | Oak Brook Mall Retail Robbery: Armed Thieves Target Nordstrom Twice In One Day, Police Say

Witnesses said the mall was crowded with last minute Christmas shoppers at the time of the incident.

Mall shoppers explained some of the chaos as the holiday music was overtaken by gunfire.

“I start to walk and all I hear is ‘bam, bam, bam.’ And I stop for a little bit, and I look and I say, ‘no, there’s no way’; so I keep walking and all of a sudden I see a rush of people running towards me, ” said Nicole Stevenson, who was housed for two and a half hours at the mall.

Stevenson was only a few stores away from the scene where police said two men were firing pistols.

She ended up taking shelter in place in a department store in the mall with 50 other people.

“For the first time in my life, I feared for my life that something could happen,” she said.

Family members rushed to the mall to meet their loved ones as soon as the lockdown was lifted.

“It’s really sad and scary,” said Nordstrom employee Susie Nash. “I have always felt so safe working here so you only know thoughts and prayers; I know we have a lot of security.”

Many are still trying to figure out what happened.

“These are things you see in the movie and when you walk out of the store your hands are up, you see the SWAT team, all of the police. It’s crazy,” Stevenson said.

The last time there was a shooting at Oakbrook Center was nine years ago, Oak Brook police said, when a security guard opened fire during a confrontation.

Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.